Friday, July 07, 2006

7th July London Bombings Commemoration

It seemed fitting to take the short walk from the office to Aldgate tube station at midday today.

We just rounded the corner when the bell chimed and everyone stood still. Out of respect, we didn't go much closer.

The police had blocked off the roads around Aldgate, so even the normally bustling traffic was forced to focus on the occasion. At the similar memorial moment a week after the tradegy last year, the vans and bikes still zooted by, some seemingly angered by the inconvenience. Today was different. Everyone, even those coincidentally walking by, bowed in respect.

Another major difference today is no sirens. At all. All is quiet in London, for a change. I suspect emergency services have been told not to use them except in dire circumstances. And no helicopters of course.

As I remember it, the weather a year ago wasn't too disimilar from today. Overcast, with spots of light rain.




It is a day for reflection today, and I'm finding it difficult to get into any real work. I suppose I partly feel this emotional because there is no-one around me that was here with me a year ago - all newbies in the office. Maybe it's best to put it in the past now. Experience had. Lessons learnt.

My condolences to all those many people directly affected by the 7th July 2005 London bombings. My limited experience on the day was mere inconvenience, even though I was so close. And my sincere thanks and congratuations for a job superbly done to the many emergency services people who were on duty that fateful day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home