Friday, April 21, 2006

SharePoint upload file fails

This week we had an issue where users couldn't upload files to SharePoint Portal Server sites. It affected all the SharePoint sites we administer, and it wasn't a problem last week.

To make it more odd, it wasn't ALL files. Small files, of less than about 60KB would get through. Larger files would give this error:

Form Validation Error
Please correct the information you provided by following these steps, then submit the information again:
Cannot open file "Document Library/sps disc data.htm.txt".


After much mucking about, and considering what changes might have been made to the environment recently, I remembered I had set up replication on the SQL databases used by the SharePoint sites. It seemed ludicrous that replication would impact uploading files of a certain size and above, but I deleted the Publications anyway.

And that was that. SharePoint and SQL replication is a no-no.

Why the heck would I want to replicate these db’s anyway? The thought was that we could move the data to another server, and then back it up from there, rather than backing the “live” database. In retrospect this is a sucky idea. It kinda works okay for pulling data from over at our hosting centre to our office, since making backups at the hosting centre isn’t all that straightforward or secure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home